BREAKING: Shock as star makes unexpected contract call; AFL club to quit state league — Daily

1
A contracted star has made a shock call on his future, while an AFL club has confirmed it will withdraw its reserves team from a state league.

Meanwhile, a man has been charged following the alleged assaults of two men in the MCG stands on Saturday night. Read on in AFL Daily.

Watch every game until the 2026 AFL Grand Final LIVE and ad-break free during play on FOX FOOTY, available on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

STAR CONFIRMS SHOCK CONTRACT CALL

In a surprising turn of events, in-demand Gold Coast forward Bailey Humphrey has re-signed with the Suns.

The electric hybrid was highly anticipated to explore his trade options after assessing a move last offseason.

Instead, in a crucial retention for Damien Hardwick, the 21-year-old has penned an extension through 2030, with the club confirming the news on Monday.

It comes following significant Victorian interest this season, after Humphrey infamously met with Melbourne coach Steven King last year.

“Bailey is a highly valued and much-loved member of our football club, so we’re incredibly pleased that he has committed his future to the Gold Coast for another two years,” list boss Kall Burns said in a statement.

“He’s only 21, but with four seasons of AFL football already behind him, Bailey has established himself as an important part of our group and what we’re building together.

“There’s a strong sense of belief and unity within this playing group, and Bailey’s commitment is another reflection of that. We place high expectations on ourselves, we know what we’re capable of and we’re determined to continue building something special here on the Gold Coast.”

Humphrey has kicked 22 goals this season, including multiple majors in three of his past four matches.

The Gippsland Power product’s recommitment follows Jed Walter’s extension, while restricted free agent Ben King remains unsigned at Carrara.

PORT CONFIRMS SANFL CALL

Port Adelaide says it’s leaving the SANFL, as calls for a national reserves competition continue.

Club chief executive Matthew Richardson confirmed the exit would be finalised after its Adelaide Oval licence deal ends in 2028.

An eventual move to the VFL looms as a possibility, while the Crows could make a similar call after also publicly backing a nationwide second-tier league.

“Clearly, for us, we need to make sure that that program is giving us the best chance to develop our AFL players in the best capacity,” Richardson said on SEN.

“Right now, as it is, it is not, so our agreement to play in the SANFL is linked to the Adelaide Oval licence deal which ends in 2028.

“We won’t be in the SANFL beyond that.”

Port Adelaide has been playing in the SANFL since its inception in 1870, winning a record 36 premierships.

Richardson put the decision down to Port Adelaide’s development of its young AFL players, which he believes aren’t getting the best chance at progressing in the SANFL.

“It is the players you play with,” he said.

“If you look at all the other AFL teams that are operating in other competitions, the quality of the players that they’ve got around their young players is at a very different level of what we are able to do.”

It comes as the Power this year copped their second wooden spoon in three years.

The club is preparing to officially welcome Next Generation Academy star Dougie Cochrane in November as the likely No.1 pick.

Port hasn’t been busy at the top of the draft in recent seasons, with forward Joe Berry its only first-round selection in the past four-year span.

The VFL — which is effectively an ‘eastern reserves competition’ following its merger with the NEAFL and inclusion of Tasmania this past year — features 22 AFL-aligned and standalone clubs.

READ MORE:

TALKING PTS: Pies’ $100k wildcard ‘middle finger’; Butters trade twist to spark rival’s Brownlow ‘Plan B’

THE RUN HOME: Every contender’s best and worst finish, and AFL’s first 10-team finals bracket predicted

‘MISSED A TRICK’: Precious chance Blues passed up as brutal finals scenario emerges

MAN CHARGED AFTER VIOLENT MCG ACT

A violent act in the stands at the MCG on Saturday has led to a 20-year-old man being charged following the alleged assaults of two men.

During the Hawthorn v Collingwood match, one fan lost the plot, allegedly punching two people on Saturday night before police stepped in and arrested him in the stands.

Shirtless and hurling verbal abuse, the Collingwood supporter, who was out on bail, was escorted out of the MCG by police.

Vision obtained by Channel 7 then shows that on the way out of the stadium, the man clocked another spectator in the head and threw a barrage of punches before being pulled out of the Shane Warne Stand screaming.

The alleged assault happened right before halftime.

After spending Saturday night in jail, the Malvern man was hit with a raft of charges, including recklessly causing injury, affray, committing an indictable offence while on bail, possessing cocaine and resisting arrest.

He will face court on Monday.

Click here to read article

Related Articles