Joel Amartey contract offer, Melbourne Demons interest in Zach Merrett

1
A leading free agent is reportedly set to land a seven-figure sum that could wind up $600,000 more than what his current club is said to have offered him.

Plus, Hawthorn and a Victorian rival are considered “likely” to renew their interest in Zach Merrett’s services. Read on in Trade Whispers.

Watch every match of every round of the Premiership Season LIVE and ad-break free during play on FOX FOOTY, available on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

SWAN SET FOR HUGE FA SUM

Sydney key forward Joel Amartey is set to attract eye-watering offers as a free agent, especially once Ben King re-signs at Gold Coast, as is expected.

Amartey, who has kicked 21 goals in 10 games this year, has unrestricted rights in October, with Carlton one of the clubs expected to make a play for him.

Seven’s Tom Morris reports that the Swans have offered the 26-year-old a five-year contract extension worth “about $600,000 or $700,000”.

But once King recommits in Carrara, Morris believes Amartey - the next-best available forward on the market - will attract offers of almost double that amount.

“I think most of us would appreciate ($600,000-700,000) is probably right, given what he’s achieved in the game,” Morris said on Seven.

“But you just wait for Ben King to re-sign … and Joel Amartey’s price will skyrocket.

“I’ve spoken to multiple clubs today who’ve confirmed that they believe Amartey’s price on the open market will be between $1-1.2 million a year as soon as King signs.

“That’s how much he’s going to be worth, given how valuable key forwards are in the modern-day system.”

RELATED: Swans in standoff with star as rival makes move

Scott defiant on Essendon strategy | 01:29

HAWKS, VIC RIVAL TO RENEW MERRETT INTEREST

Zach Merrett is again “considering his future away from Essendon”, with Hawthorn set to renew its interest alongside an emerging Victorian rival.

Multiple reports have indicated that Merrett - who failed in his desire to join the Hawks last October - will again explore a departure despite still being under contract.

Nine’s Sam McClure revealed that not only will Hawthorn again target Merrett, but Melbourne might, too.

“(The Hawks) may have told people quietly and privately that they cooled on their interest - they haven’t. They will be vying for Zach Merrett again,” McClure told Footy Classified.

“I think there’ll be a couple of other clubs, including the Melbourne Football Club - which has plenty of salary cap space - that if they keep going on the trajectory that they’re going, may (have) some interest.”

McClure wrote in The Age that the Demons, who launched “a throw at the stumps” for Merrett late last year, would continue to have interest that’s “likely to intensify”.

It comes after On the Couch’s Jon Ralph revealed on Fox Footy that the Gold Coast Suns have “asked the question of Merrett”.

AFL Tonight’s David Zita explained last Sunday that any talks of an Essendon extension for Merrett, which was considered a possibility earlier this year, were “well and truly on the back-burner”.

“There’s not really any rush from either side,” Zita told Fox Footy’s Sunday Ticket.

“Essendon will point to the fact that he’s contracted for next year, and I think from Merrett’s point of view, he probably wants to see where this club is at. And there’s no point in making any decisions now.

“I think this is going to be another one where we just go through the course of the year and see where things sit.

“Zach Merrett’s future again is going to be a talking point - it’s just about what happens this time.”

Click here to read article

Related Articles